13 August 2011

Movie Challenge Day 2

Day 2. Your Least Favorite Film. The Good German. 



This one took some thought. But this is what finally popped out for me. 

I really wanted to like this film /it had a cool gimmick; it was filmed on back lot sets using vintage camera equipment in B&W just as if it were shot in 1945. It had a stellar cast: Clooney, Blanchett. The plot seemed reminiscent of an early Cold War Casablanca. But then it all fell apart.

The acting was horrible, wooden. Was I watching Portman and Christensen in Attack of the Clones trying to act romance? No, I was watching two seasoned, accomplished actors trying to act romance. There was no real chemistry, no "magic" between them. It was horrible!

What really blew it for me is the scene where the "bad guy" of the film, Tobey Maguire (!), has Clooney on the ground kicking him and whining, "I'm the bad man!" repeatedly. In what possible universe could Tobey beat up Clooney?!! Dear God, I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe.

Probably what killed this movie for me is the fact that I watched on the same night that I watched Flags of Our Fathers and Letters From Iwo Jima. Those two make this one seem, well, cheap and tawdry. Well, regardless this one is my least favorite film.

2 comments:

Archivarius said...

I have never seen it, not do I think I want to now.

Anthony N. Emmel said...

That would be a wise move on your part, Julia. :)